Foreword - Message from the High-Level Consultative Group Co-Chairs of the Partnership
In this video message, the two co-chairs of the InsuResilience Global Partnership’s High-Level Consultative Group Dr Maria Flachsbarth, Parliamentary State Secretary to the Federal Minister for Economic Cooperation and Development, Germany, and Minister Alfred Alfred Jr., Minister of Finance, Banking and Postal Services, Republic of the Marshall Islands, set the scene for this Annual Report and answer the following questions:
- In a world of growing uncertainties and against the backdrop of the Covid-19 crisis – how did the InsuResilience Global Partnership strengthen the V20-G20 cooperation on resilience?
- What are key deliverables in the run-up to COP26 and how can the Partnership take the corresponding action over the coming year?
Welcome to the InsuResilience Annual Report 2020
We are delighted to present you with the Annual Report 2020 of the InsuResilience Global Partnership.
Despite the recent Covid-19 crisis and a changing risk environment, the Partnership and its members have forged on, pursuing our mandate to strengthen the financial resilience of vulnerable communities. Our Partnership is working tirelessly to scale up Climate and Disaster Risk Finance and Insurance (CDRFI) solutions. In 2020, programmes under the InsuResilience Global Partnership were active in 101 countries.
The impacts of the ongoing pandemic are compounded by climate shocks and this makes the need for action even more apparent. We need comprehensive climate and disaster risk management approaches so as to be better prepared and we should work together to address disasters before they even occur.
The 2020 Annual Report provides you with a varied and rich bundle of information from the real world. It has a wealth of testimonies from the hugely impressive activities and actions of our Partnership Members.
This wide range of topics and cases brings you the latest information on the following issues:
- sharing lessons and impact stories in different regions of the world from Fiji through Pakistan to Zambia and Peru
- new developments such as the establishment of the InsuResilience Centre of Excellence on Gender-smart Solutions
- ongoing development of the V20-led Sustainable Insurance Facility, driven in particular by our V20 Co-Chair of the Republic of Marshall Islands
- launch of the first Tripartite Agreement projects with significant engagement from our G20 Co-Chair of Germany.
All these stories demonstrate how the various initiatives in the InsuResilience Global Partnership combine to make a meaningful contribution to protecting the development gains made by poor and vulnerable communities.
The InsuResilience Secretariat is grateful to all Partnership Members for the continuous support provided in the course of our work. This dedication motivates us to pursue our mission of achieving the Vision 2025 goals.
By fostering trust and ownership among our members, we will continue to work together on CDRFI solutions and to generate momentum for climate resilience. This represents our contribution to the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development.
Stay safe and keep healthy. We wish you an interesting and enjoyable read.